What you’ll learn from this report:
Southeast Asia is the world’s fastest growing region for PC online games revenue. The region is also home to the fastest growing market for esports. Teams, tournaments, and investment are all hot in the region, with no sign of slowing down. Investment in the region by multinational companies and country governments will continue to boost this growth. The region represents a huge opportunity however each country’s different culture, gamer preferences, and spending behaviors means there is no one size fits all approach to the region. Further, while the regulatory landscape is more relaxed than China, several countries have regulations that do impact strategy for the region.
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 2017
Key takeaways from the analysis:
- Southeast Asia is the world’s fastest growing region for PC online games revenue.
- 2017 PC online games revenue is projected to reach $1.1 billion, rising to $2.0 billion by 2021. This forecast has been revised upwards from previous years based on the strength of esports and new hit international games entering the market.
- The number of PC online gamers in Southeast Asia will reach 130 million by the end of 2017, rising to 163 million by 2021.
- While mobile games revenue will surpass PC games revenue in the region by 2018, mobile games will not negatively impact the growth of the PC online games segment.
- Southeast Asia also boasts the fastest growing market for esports. Teams, tournaments, and investment are all hot in the region, with no sign of slowing down.
- Steam continues to gain market share.
- Garena is the definitive market leading online game operator in SEA, thanks primarily to licensing League of Legends from Riot Games, and to the company’s dedication to local, on the ground business and customer support, especially in Internet cafés.
- A comprehensive analysis of the SEA region as a whole and by individual country, including:
- Market model and 5-year forecast through 2021 by games segment
- Growth drivers and trends
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, demographics, behavior, and usage for PC online games
- Top games, publishers, and gaming hardware
- Discovery and distribution
- Spending and payments
- 111 slides, 76 data exhibits