SAN JOSE, Calif. – December 3, 2013 – Niko Partners, the Leader in Asian Games Market Intelligence™, today announced the availability of its 2013 Southeast Asian Game Market Regional Report covering the dynamic regional market that includes Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. The Southeast Asian online games market is projected to double in size by 2017 with revenue reaching $1.2 billion. The report highlights spending, ARPU, gaming behavior, usage of games, and breaks down the market size and forecast for each country into gaming segments. Niko also partnered with App Annie to provide rankings of mobile game downloads and revenues for each country.
Key takeaways from the report include:
- Southeast Asia boasts 85 million online gamers today, and $661 million in revenue
- The Southeast Asian online games market will double in size by 2017 to $1.2 billion and 132 million gamers
- The primary mode of online games payments is with cash at I-cafés or retail stores
- Vietnam’s market should benefit from the recent reversal of a 3-year ban on new game licenses
- Niko forecasts that Indonesia will have the fastest growth in revenue and in the number of online gamers in our 5-year forecast period
- Approximately one in four of the 15,000 predominately young, hardcore PC gamers Niko surveyed claim not to play any mobile games whatsoever, contrasted with China where 100% of gamers play mobile games
“Mobile games are booming in Southeast Asia as they are worldwide, yet client-based PC online gaming remains vibrant and will continue to experience aggressive revenue growth over the 5-year forecast period,” said Lisa Cosmas Hanson, managing partner of Niko Partners. “We were surprised to find out that many Southeast Asian hardcore PC gamers ignore mobile gaming all together, a major behavioral difference from the Chinese gaming population.”
Niko surveyed more than 15,000 gamers, most of whom were young, male, hardcore enthusiasts who play client-based MMOGs. The sample provided valuable insights into the most lucrative segment of online gamers. In addition, the methodology included interviews with executives at major Southeast Asian online games companies, payments companies, and more. The report provides market share estimates for online game operators in each country, and a list of their leading games.
The data-intensive 103-page report, including 137 data exhibits, is available now at: https://nikopartners.com/