Growth driven by esports, 5G, and increased gamer spending
SILICON VALLEY, Calif. – Nov 18, 2019 – Niko Partners, the leading market research firm covering the digital games markets in Asia, today announced the release of two new reports: Southeast Asia + Chinese Taipei Mobile Games Report and Southeast Asia + Chinese Taipei PC Games Report, both with market size and 5-year forecasts through 2023.
Key takeaways from the studies include:
- PC and mobile game revenue for Southeast Asia + Chinese Taipei (also referred to as Greater Southeast Asia and GSEA) will exceed $5 billion in 2019, and is projected to pass $8.3 billion in 2023 with 320 million gamers.
- There are more than half a billion smartphone users, rising to 628 million by 2023. Roughly 40% of all smartphone users play mobile games. 5G is planned to launch in most GSEA countries in 2020, which is expected to boost mobile gaming too.
- Internet user penetration in Southeast Asia (SEA) and Chinese Taipei is projected to pass 99% by 2023, up from 77% in 2019.
- Esports is the most important driver of growth in the games industry in Asia, with an overwhelming majority of Asia’s gamers actively playing or competing in esports games.
- The region’s leading games company, Singapore-based Sea Corp.‘s Garena business unit, developed mobile hit Free Fire, which recently surpassed $1 billion in revenue globally and is the #1 battle royale game with more users than Fortine and PUBG combined.
“The importance of esports as a growth driver in the mobile gaming industry in GSEA cannot be overstated,” said Lisa Cosmas Hanson, managing partner of Niko Partners. “Countries in the region have embraced esports not only for entertainment, but for tourism, engaging young people with politicians, and for promoting infrastructure development.”
Niko’s methodology included a gamer survey, interviews with numerous executives at major companies, trends analysis on key topics such as esports, leading games and game company market share estimates, lists of leading games, drivers and inhibitors for growth, regulations, user acquisition, games distribution, hardware, payments, and more. The two reports each provide a comprehensive market model and 5-year forecast of games and gamers, and qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, behavior and usage for mobile and PC games. For more information visit:
ABOUT NIKO PARTNERS
Niko Partners is the leading market research firm covering the Asia games market. Founded in 2002, the firm conducts syndicated and custom research studies on China and Southeast Asia including online games, mobile games, consoles, regulatory issues, piracy, development, online operators, distribution, and retail. Niko Partners also offers consulting services including focus groups, partnership selection, IPO and market opportunity analysis, custom surveys in cities throughout China and the Asia Pacific region, and customized data analysis. The goal of the research and strategic advisory services is to help understand the market, strategically enter or expand market share, and continue to profitably grow in Asia’s impressive games markets. The company is based in Silicon Valley with offices in Shanghai, Bangkok, Jakarta and London, and its clients include worldwide leaders in game software, hardware, and services, as well as hedge funds, media companies, trade associations, and management consulting firms, all of whom have a vested interest in a thorough understanding of the region. www.nikopartners.com