China’s console game and hardware market surpasses $2 billion for the first time
SILICON VALLEY, Calif. – May 28, 2022 – Niko Partners, a market research and consulting firm covering video games, esports, and streaming in Asia and the Middle East, today announced key findings excerpted from its newly published 2022 China Console Games Market Report including Niko’s proprietary market model and 5-year forecast through 2026.
Findings published in the 100 slide report include:
- China console market size was $2.16 billion in 2021, up 16.7% YoY, and is projected to reach $2.53 billion in 2026, including China legal versions and grey market imports of hardware and software
- The Nintendo Switch is the current market leader in China and the launch of PlayStation 5 China version and Xbox Series X|S China version were key drivers of growth in 2021
- Nearly 80% of game revenue is generated by grey market sales due to too few licensed games available. Game consoles are legal in China, which ended a 15-year ban on consoles in 2015.
- We project total console software and services revenue will reach $1.84 billion in 2026 at a 5-Year CAGR of 10.5%, a higher growth rate than PC games
- The total number of console gamers in mainland China reached 15.9 million in 2021, up 18.3% YoY, projected to reach 27 million in 2026
“Console gamers and console game revenue growth rates are in the double digits in mainland China,” said Lisa Hanson, founder and president of Niko Partners. “The demand for consoles comes from not only higher levels spending by gamers, but by a niche set of gamers seeking high quality, global games beyond what is found in PC and mobile games in China. Gamers may have different preferences for gameplay and visuals, but they all want great, high quality games and consoles have offered that for many years.”
Niko’s research methodology for games market reports includes online surveys of Chinese gamers, trends analysis on key topics such as esports, leading games and game company market share estimates, review of regulations and policy, interviews with key game companies, analysis of drivers and inhibitors for growth, review of distribution, hardware, payments, internet cafes, and more. Each market report provides a comprehensive market model and 5-year forecast of games and gamers, and qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, behavior and usage for games.
For more information visit:
China Console Games Market Report
ABOUT NIKO PARTNERS
Niko Partners is a market research and consulting firm covering video games, esports, and streaming in Asia and the Middle East. Founded in 2002, Niko provides qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, and strategic advisory services to deliver the intelligence and answers necessary to truly understand these complex markets. Niko’s products include market reports and forecasts, the China Games Industry database, the Asia Esports Tracker, the China Games Streaming Tracker, and the Asia and MENA News Analysis Service; and custom research and consulting services including focus groups, product and gamer studies, surveys, investor due diligence, IPO and market opportunity analysis, and transaction advisory services. The company is based in Silicon Valley, with offices in Shanghai, Bangkok, Jakarta and London. www.nikopartners.com