League of Legends Dominates as Taiwan’s Most Popular Game
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Oct 11, 2017 – Niko Partners, the leading market research consultancy on the Asian games market, today announced the availability of their 2017 Taiwan Digital Games Market Report with Forecast through 2021, their first deep look at the games market in Taiwan (Chinese Taipei).
Key takeaways from the study include:
- Despite a population ranking 55th in the world, Taiwan is the 15th largest PC + Mobile games market worldwide, generating over $1.26 billion USD in 2016.
- Taiwanese consumers’ enthusiasm for games and local investment into technology and infrastructure all point to a growth market for digital games and entertainment.
- Taiwan’s PC + Mobile games market is projected to grow to $2.35 billion by 2021.
- Mobile games have become the largest segment, currently accounting for 53% of this revenue, and projected to rise to 60% with more than half of Taiwan’s population playing mobile games by 2021.
- 65% of gamers in Taiwan feel esports is the country’s most important competitive sport. 75% of gamers watch live streams, and more than half want to compete. Global games giants have taken notice and are making significant investment.
- League of Legends continues to dominate as the most played PC game in Taiwan.
- Chinese games publishers are successful in Taiwan especially in mobile where they dominate the top ten games for both iOS and Android, however with fewer regulations than mainland China, the Taiwan market represents a lucrative opportunity for international competitors.
“Taiwan not only has the largest games market revenue in the region that we call Greater Southeast Asia, but it is a unique market in Asia and very distinct from mainland China in terms of gamer behavior, local game development, and types of games in demand,” said Lisa Cosmas Hanson, managing partner of Niko Partners. “It’s imperative for companies in the global games industry ecosystem to understand the Taiwan market opportunity, consumer behaviors, growth factors, and regulations.”
Niko’s methodology included an online survey of Taiwan gamers, interviews with executives at major Taiwan games companies, payment companies, mobile game developers, and trends analysis on key topics such as esports, Internet cafes, drivers and inhibitors for growth, regulations, and more. The report provides market share estimates for PC game publishers by platform, and a list of their leading games, as well as details about mobile games rankings and top mobile game developers. The analysis includes a comprehensive market model and 5-year forecast by games segment, and qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, behavior, and usage for PC online and mobile games. For more information or to purchase visit https://nikopartners.com/taiwan-games-market-report/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT NIKO PARTNERS
Niko Partners is the leader in Asian Games Market Intelligence™, specializing in the Chinese and Southeast Asian game markets. Founded in 2002 and in its 15th year of detailed analysis on the Chinese market, the firm conducts syndicated and custom research studies on Chinese gamers, Southeast Asian gamers, online games, mobile games, consoles, Smart TV gaming, regulatory issues, piracy, development, online operators, distribution, and retail. Niko Partners also offers consulting services including focus groups, partnership selection, market opportunity analysis, custom surveys in cities throughout China and the AsiaPacific region and customized data analysis. The goal of the research and strategic advisory services is to help understand the market, strategically enter or expand market share, and continue to profitably grow within China and Southeast Asia’s impressive markets. The company is based in Silicon Valley and Shanghai, and its clients include worldwide leaders in game software, hardware, and services, as well as hedge funds, media companies, trade associations, and management consulting firms, www.nikopartners.com all of whom have a vested interest in a thorough understanding of the games industry in Southeast Asia and China.
# # #
Contact: Lisa Cosmas Hanson Managing Partner Niko Partners