India has the 2nd largest gamer base in the world behind mainland China
SILICON VALLEY, Calif. – November 21, 2022 – Niko Partners, a market research and consulting firm covering video games, esports, and streaming in Asia and the Middle East, today announced the release of their 2022 India Games Market report, including Niko’s proprietary market model and 5-year forecast through 2026, and qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, behavior and usage for mobile and PC games.
Key takeaways from the India market report include:
- India’s PC and mobile game markets are projected to generate player spending of US$704.5 million in 2022 with 396.4 million gamers, growing to reach US$1.4 billion in 2026 with 630 million gamers
- This excludes revenue from Real Money Gaming, which is currently an important yet separate part of India’s games market
- India is the fastest growing market in Asia-10 for both revenue and gamers and it is also the second largest games market in the world by gamers, behind China
- India is a mobile first market with 98.8% of gamers playing on the platform, accounting for 85% of total market revenue. Data costs in India are the lowest in the world and 5G has started rolling out this year.
- India gamers spend an average of 14.1 hours per week on mobile games and India has the highest proportion of mobile gamers across the Asia-10 region that play over 5 hours per week
- Propensity to pay has increased with a higher number of spenders and higher spending per paying user. 34% of gamers in India spent money on games in 2022
- 2023 will have a lower growth rate than 2022 because this will include the first full year impact of BGMI’s ban. The growth rate could be revised down if additional mobile games are banned in 2023
“India has quickly become one of the most important markets that we track and is the fastest growing market by both revenue and gamers in the Asia-10 region,” said Lisa Hanson, president of Niko Partners. “India’s nearly 400 million gamers account for over half of the 788 million gamers in Asia-10 and are a formidable force to be understood and served by developers and publishers.”
The India Games Market report is 91 slides and includes a comprehensive market model and 5-year forecast through 2026 by games segment, key data on game publishers, games rankings, growth drivers, and trends. This includes details on esports, product distribution, payments, financial transaction events, regulations, and qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, spending, and behavior. The methodology includes a survey of more than 1,000 India gamers.
For more information, please visit https://nikopartners.com/asia-games-market-report/.
ABOUT NIKO PARTNERS
Niko Partners is a market research and consulting firm covering video games, esports, and streaming in Asia and the Middle East. Founded in 2002, Niko provides qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, and strategic advisory services to deliver the intelligence and answers necessary to truly understand these complex markets. Niko’s products include market reports and forecasts, the China Games Industry database, the Asia Esports Tracker, the China Games Streaming Tracker, and the Asia and MENA News Analysis Service; and custom research and consulting services including focus groups, product and gamer studies, surveys, investor due diligence, IPO and market opportunity analysis, and transaction advisory services. The company is based in Silicon Valley, with offices in Shanghai, Bangkok, Jakarta, and London. www.nikopartners.com