The Nintendo Switch has the largest market share among consoles in mainland China
SILICON VALLEY, Calif. – June 16, 2021 – Niko Partners, a market research and consulting firm covering video games, esports, and streaming in Asia, today announced the release of a new report: China Console Games Market, including Niko’s proprietary market model and 5-year forecast through 2025.
Key takeaways from the reports include:
- China’s total console games + hardware market generated $1.84 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach $2.46 billion in 2025 at a 5-year CAGR of 5.9%.
- The dollar value is large, but in comparison to the rest of China’s games market it is small. China’s console games software market accounted for 2.1% of China’s total mobile + PC + console games software revenue in 2020.
- We project that it will account for 2.9% of the total in 2025. Yet if we add in console hardware, consoles + their games make up 4.1% of China’s 2020 games market, rising slightly to 4.3% in 2025.
- The total number of console gamers reached 13.2 million in 2020 and will reach 23.9 million in 2025, driven primarily by strong sales of the current generation consoles.
- Total ARPPU for console software was $84.00 for the year 2020, up 6% YoY. ARPPU is set to reach $91.30 in 2025, driven by increased spend across game software, in-game content, and game-related services.
- The Nintendo Switch has the largest console market share in mainland China.
“The increase in spending through 2025 will primarily be driven by ongoing sales of the Nintendo Switch, a new console cycle with PS5 and Xbox Series X|S and increased demand for high-end games from Chinese gamers,” said Lisa Hanson, founder and president of Niko Partners. “Other areas of growth opportunities in console gaming include subscriptions, free-to-play (F2P) and cloud gaming. Subscriptions are set to benefit console platform holders the most, while F2P and cloud gaming will benefit game developers.”
Niko’s research methodology includes online surveys of Chinese gamers, trends analysis on key topics such as esports, leading games and game company market share estimates, review of regulations and policy plus interviews of game publishers, analysis of drivers and inhibitors for growth, review of distribution, hardware, payments, internet cafes, and more. Each market report provides a comprehensive market model and 5-year forecast of games and gamers, and qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, behavior and usage for mobile and PC games.
For more information visit:
ABOUT NIKO PARTNERS
Niko Partners is the leading market research firm covering video games, esports, and streaming in Asia. Founded in 2002, the firm conducts syndicated and custom research studies on China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Chinese Taipei, Japan, South Korea, and India on the topics of online games, mobile games, consoles and console games, regulatory issues, piracy, development, online operators, distribution, internet cafes, retail and more. Niko Partners also offers consulting services including focus groups, partnership selection, IPO and market opportunity analysis, custom surveys in cities throughout China and the Asia Pacific region, and customized data analysis. The company is based in Silicon Valley with offices in Shanghai, Bangkok, Jakarta and London, and its clients include worldwide leaders in game software, hardware, and services, as well as hedge funds, media companies, trade associations, and management consulting firms, all of whom have a vested interest in a thorough understanding of the region. www.nikopartners.com