Market growth surpasses previous projections
SAN JOSE, Calif. – May –, 2018 – Niko Partners, the leading experts on the Asia games market, today announced the availability of their 2018 China PC Online Games Report and 2018 China Mobile Games Report with forecasts through 2022. According to the two studies, China will enjoy strong growth in digital gamers and games revenue in the next 5 years, to reach $42 billion USD in domestic revenue by 2022. The market is growing even faster than last year’s forecast had predicted with mobile games revenue significantly higher than previously projected due to more engagement with midcore and esports titles.
Key takeaways from the two reports include:
- The China games market revenue is projected to pass $42 billion by 2022
- The number of gamers in China is set to increase from 558 million in 2017 to 768 billion in 2022.
- Total PC Online games revenue in 2017 was $15.53 billion, up 1.2% YoY.
- Total PC Online games revenue in 2022 is projected to reach $17.44 billion at a CAGR of 2.3%.
- China domestic mobile games revenue was $12.13 billion in 2017, up 47.3% YoY.
- China domestic mobile games revenue in 2022 is projected to reach $24.67 billion at a CAGR of 15.3%.
- The most popular games in China are League of Legends on PC, and Honor of Kings on mobile.
- The number of female gamers that play and spend in games is increasing
- Esports continues to be one of the strongest drivers of growth, with battle royale the hottest new genre on both PC and mobile platforms.
- The top 20 Android app stores account for 95% of Android game distribution.
“China is by far the world’s largest games market and the single most important market for both mobile and PC games, and it’s growing faster than expected,” said Lisa Cosmas Hanson, managing partner of Niko Partners. “Global game companies, hardware providers, and others must take the time to understand the Chinese market and Chinese gamer’s motivations, behavior, demands, and economic reality in order to build games and products that will soar to the top of the charts.”
Niko’s methodology included online surveys of Chinese gamers, interviews with executives at major Chinese games companies, payment companies, mobile game developers, and others. The report provides market share estimates for game publishers by platform, top games, and top distribution channels. The analysis includes a comprehensive market model and 5-year forecast by country and games segment, and qualitative and quantitative data on gamer behavior, spending, and usage for PC online and mobile games. For more information visit https://nikopartners.com/china-pc-online-games/ and https://nikopartners.com/china-mobile-games/.
ABOUT NIKO PARTNERS
Niko Partners is the leader in Asian Games Market Intelligence, specializing in the Chinese and Southeast Asian game markets. Founded in 2002 and in its 15th year of detailed analysis on the Chinese market, the firm conducts syndicated and custom research studies on Chinese gamers, Southeast Asian gamers, online games, mobile games, consoles, Smart TV gaming, regulatory issues, piracy, development, online operators, distribution, and retail. Niko Partners also offers consulting services including focus groups, partnership selection, market opportunity analysis, custom surveys in cities throughout China and the AsiaPacific region and customized data analysis. The goal of the research and strategic advisory services is to help understand the market, strategically enter or expand market share, and continue to profitably grow within China and Southeast Asia’s impressive markets. The company is based in Silicon Valley and Shanghai, and its clients include worldwide leaders in game software, hardware, and services, as well as hedge funds, media companies, trade associations, and management consulting firms, www.nikopartners.com all of whom have a vested interest in a thorough understanding of the games industry in Southeast Asia and China.
# # #
Lisa Cosmas Hanson Managing Partner