CHINESE GAMERS SPENT 22% MORE ON PC ONLINE GAMES IN 2014 THAN 2013
Revenue to surge from $14.5 billion in 2014 to $22.3 billion in 2019
SAN JOSE, Calif. – May 1, 2015 – Niko Partners, the leader in Asian Games Market Intelligence, today announced the availability of the firm’s 2015 China’s PC Online Games Market Report. The report includes detailed data on the PC online games market size and forecast, ranked lists of game titles, gamer behavioral data, review of infrastructure, hardware, and regulations, and much more industry analysis covering 2014 through 2019.
Key takeaways from the April 2015 report on China’s PC Online Games Market include:
* The PC online games market revenue grew 22% from 2013 to 2014.
* Much of the revenue growth is attributed to higher demand for Massively Online Battle Arena (MOBA) games such as League of Legends and First Person Shooters (FPS) such as CrossFire.
* Foreign game companies have had success in the rapidly growing segments of MOBA and Shooter games, while domestic Chinese companies dominate the historically popular Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) segment.
* eSports are very popular in Asia including in China, and gamers look at high-profile professional gamers as cultural icons.
* Tencent is the dominant PC online games company in China, with 37% of the revenue of the total domestic PC online games market in 2014
“In 2015 there will be 275 million Chinese PC online gamers eager to connect with friends at home or in I-cafés – roughly equal to 88% of the current population of the United States,” said Lisa Cosmas Hanson, Managing Partner and founder of Niko Partners. “While much of the casual game usage has migrated from PC to the mobile platform, the high quality client-based MMOGs andhard-core webgames continue to generate strong revenue in China’s enormous games market.”
Our newest report in the PowerPoint version has close to 100 Slides with 58 data exhibits and is available now for $7,000 at the Niko Research Store, and it has been delivered to our annual subscription clients already. In June we will publish 2015 China’s Console & TV-based Gaming Market Report, followed by the 2015 China’s Mobile Games Market Report in August. Niko Partners also publishes research on the Southeast Asian Games Market, a free weekly news
digest and analysis called Niko News, and frequently posts blog updates on nikopartners.com.