What you’ll learn from this report:
China remains a powerhouse in the global games industry. At the same time, Chinese game companies are expanding their reach globally and making bold investments at higher rates than ever. As the country reopens and its gaming sector sees a rebound, it is important to deeply understand the Chinese gaming scene from companies & games-to-watch to regulations and games licenses. And despite regulatory challenges, the licensing process in China has undergone significant changes. Many game titles find success through platforms such as Steam International which allows Chinese gamers to play unlicensed releases, even amid regulatory challenges.
Our latest report on the Console Games market in China provides a comprehensive guide and insightful analysis to those aiming to navigate and tap into the lucrative China market.
PUBLISHED JUNE 2023
Key takeaways from the analysis:
- The total market for PC, mobile and console games revenue in China was $45.5 billion in 2022 and is forecast to surpass $57 billion in 2027
- By 2027 China will be home to 730 million gamers. The country’s population is declining but the number of gamers is rising.
- China’s domestic console market generated $2.29 billion in 2022, up 7.8% YoY. This includes revenue generated from hardware and software via legal sales and the grey market
- The number of console gamers reached 16.7 million in 2022, up 8.3% YoY.
- While supply issues plagued the console market in 2021 and 2022, we project that 2023 will be the peak year for console hardware sales as supply meets demand
- China’s console hardware and software market will reach $2.48 billion in 2027 at a 5-year CAGR of 1.6%