What you’ll learn from this report:
Our analysis shows that although TV-based gaming in China is currently a small part of the overall market, it represents a significant new avenue for spending and a path to the living room of billions of households. With 600 million gamers (nearly 2x the population of the US), the Chinese games market is the single-most important market in the world, and projected growth in the TV-based segment will represent an enormous surge in revenue. The report explains our analysis on the factors that are driving and inhibiting growth as well as which platforms and publishers, both foreign and domestic, are important.
PUBLISHED JULY 2017
- Detailed analysis on trends in the TV-based games segment (gaming via consoles and over-the-top boxes) based on data published in the 2017 China Digital Games Market Data Report
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer behavior and influences
- Growth drivers and barriers
- Gamer adoption
- Approved titles
- Regulations specific to TV-based gaming
- Legal and grey market revenue
- 46 slides with more than 12 data exhibits
Key takeaways from the analysis:
- 10.3 million people in China play digital games with the TVs as screens, rising to 21.5 million by 2021.
- Consoles are more important for gaming than OTT boxes, specifically PS4 and Xbox One.
- PS4 and Xbox One are legally available but growth has been slow, with no real driver for adoption by hard-core gamers.
- Dedicated gaming boxes such as the TGP Box (micro-console that runs Windows and WeGame) are used mostly for streaming rather than playing games.
- TV games software revenue will rise from $253 million in 2016 to $711 million in 2021.
How do topic reports work?
Topic Reports are companion reports to the China Digital Games Market Data Report which covers market sizing, 5-year forecasts, and gamer data from our proprietary survey. Each Topic Report holds deeper analysis of a specific topic, allowing you to purchase only those Topic Reports that are relevant to your business.
Each of the 5 Topic Reports is $2,000, and the Data Report is $4,000. Companies that buy the Data report plus all 5 Topic Reports receive 5 hours of consulting time.