China

1 12, 2016

Overwatch Continues to Dominate eSports Scene

2017-03-06T20:30:51+00:00 December 1st, 2016|Categories: China, eSports, Niko Analysis, Thailand|

Prince Vajiralongkorn to Become Thailand's New King Thailand has begun the process of naming Prince Vajiralongkorn as the new king of Thailand, becoming King Rama X or the 10th king of the Chakri dynasty. According to the BBC, however, there has been a lot of uncertainty as Prince Vajiralongkorn wanted to postpone the process by at [...]

23 11, 2016

NetEase Challenges Tencent’s Stronghold On Mobile Publishing

2017-03-06T20:30:51+00:00 November 23rd, 2016|Categories: China, Mobile Game Industry, NetEase, Tencent, Xiaomi|

NetEase Challenges Tencent's Stronghold On Mobile Publishing According to App Annie, NetEase has now replaced Tencent as the top mobile publisher by revenue worldwide as the company's apps continue to grow in China. "The big reason here for NetEase's surge is that it has the top two most lucrative games worldwide with the card-battling Onmyoji game [...]

29 10, 2016

China’s iOS App Store Overtakes US in Spending

2017-01-15T14:38:55+00:00 October 29th, 2016|Categories: China, Consoles, eSports, Mobile Game Industry, Mobile Games, Philippines|

China's iOS App Store Overtakes US in Spending Mobile analytics firm App Annie said that Chinese consumers spent USD 1.7 billion on Apple-sanctioned mobile apps in the third quarter, or about 15% higher than the nearly USD 1.45 billion spent by Americans during the same period. This is particularly remarkable considering the new regulations requiring licenses [...]

21 10, 2016

eSports Officially Endorsed By China’s Ministry of Education

2017-01-15T14:38:55+00:00 October 21st, 2016|Categories: China, eSports, Niko Analysis, Thailand|

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej Passes Away The world's longest reigning monarch, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, King Rama IX of the Chakri dynasty, passed away this week at the age of 88. There will be at least 15 official days of mourning before succession can take place and then Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn will ascend to the throne. Currently [...]

19 10, 2016

New Curfew for Young Gamers in China

2017-01-15T14:38:55+00:00 October 19th, 2016|Categories: China, eSports, Southeast Asia, Thailand|

Thai King Bhumibol's Health Unstable King Bhumibol has been on the throne of Thailand since 1946, making him the world's longest reigning monarch, but he has spent much of the last year in hospital. He has recently recovered from a respiratory infection and is now being prepared for haemodialysis, a procedure used to treat kidney failure. [...]

9 10, 2016

Jagex is Now Part of a Chinese Company

2017-01-15T14:38:55+00:00 October 9th, 2016|Categories: China, eSports, Mobile Game Industry, Mobile Games|

Jagex is Now Part of a Chinese Company Zhongji Holding was listed on the Chinese Stock Market this past week, and subsequently bought 51% of Hongtou, the investor that acquired Jagex back in July of this year. Zhongji Holding will then purchase the remaining 49% of Hongtou during the next 12 months. Jagex was previously the [...]

25 09, 2016

SAPPRFT Delayed Date for Licenses on Mobile Games Under New Regulations

2017-01-15T14:38:55+00:00 September 25th, 2016|Categories: China, Mobile Game Industry, The9|

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! This past weekend, September 15th through the 18th, China celebrated its Mid-Autumn Festival. This annual festival is held on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar with full moon at night. We hope you all got to enjoy a mooncake or two! The9 Obtains Rights for a Crossfire Mobile [...]

12 09, 2016

Battle of social networks in China

2017-01-15T14:38:56+00:00 September 12th, 2016|Categories: China, Mobile Game Industry, Southeast Asia, Tencent, Vietnam|

Battle of Social Networks in China According to an article on InsideGamesAsia, there are many social networks in Asia whose popularity changes by country. Wechat from Tencent essentially owns China's social network market. In Japan and Taiwan, Line is known to be the primary social app, while Kakaotalk has been stubbornly clenching onto its throne in [...]

5 09, 2016

Tencent & NetEase Make Up the Majority of China’s Mobile Games Market

2017-01-15T14:38:56+00:00 September 5th, 2016|Categories: China, NetEase, Tencent, Vietnam|

Pokemon Go Unavailable in China Niko Partners' analyst Daniel Ahmad was quoted this week by Business Insider on how Pokemon Go has still not entered China. "'Pokémon Go' relies on Google Services for the game to run correctly," Daniel told Business Insider in an email exchange. "The game itself uses Google Maps as the game world [...]