What you’ll learn from this report:
Virtual reality has been embraced in China and Chinese consumers have shown a willingness to go out and purchase VR devices or experiences, whereas consumer interest in the West has been considerably more muted. As the world’s most important market for VR, China is actively investing in the promising mobile and high-end segments of VR for gaming and many of the leading Chinese tech companies are embracing VR in earnest. The report explains our analysis on the factors that are driving growth as well as which technologies, companies, and games are important.
PUBLISHED AUGUST 2017
- Detailed analysis on trends in the VR segment based on data published in the China Digital Games Market Data Report
- Estimated market size of total VR market in China, with a look at all segments
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer behavior, spending and influences
- Growth drivers and barriers
- Notable companies and games in the space
- M&A and investment activity
- 46 slides, 10 data exhibits
Key takeaways from the analysis:
- Virtual reality hardware and software revenue will rise from $249 million in 2016 to $1.7 billion in 2021.
- There are more than 200 active virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) startups in China.
- There are more than 5,000 VR experience zones across the China. This expected to rise in 2017, driving higher use of PC-based VR hardware and software.
- Total spending on VR hardware in 2016 totaled $235 million, driven by a high volume of mobile VR headsets at low average selling prices alongside a low volume of PC and console VR headsets at high prices.
- Mobile VR overall is currently the main driver of virtual reality in China, driven by low cost, ease of use and compatibility.
- PC-based VR has many barriers to entry at this point, but will become just as important as Mobile VR in the long term.
- 2017 marks a year of consolidation with many small VR and AR companies leaving the market, even after they have received investment, while those at the top expand their positions.
How do topic reports work?
Topic Reports are companion reports to the China Digital Games Market Data Report which covers market sizing, 5-year forecasts, and gamer data from our proprietary survey. Each Topic Report holds deeper analysis of a specific topic, allowing you to purchase only those Topic Reports that are relevant to your business.
Each of the 5 Topic Reports is $2,000, and the Data Report is $4,000. Companies that buy the Data report plus all 5 Topic Reports receive 5 hours of consulting time.